At Hawkhurst CE Primary School the children are offered a rich and varied creative curriculum which encompasses the requirements of the National Curriculum that prepares our pupils to be lifelong independent learners in the 21st Century.
Through careful planning in the long, medium and short term we make sure there is progression, appropriateness of level, breadth, balance and consistency across the curriculum. We are committed to the idea that children learn best in a secure, caring, positive and stimulating environment. Our teachers provide well-ordered surroundings and ensure that expectations of behaviour and work are high and are clearly understood by the children. Hawkhurst children are encouraged to take responsibility for their own learning.
We believe that children learn best when they …
- are confident about what they are doing
- feel secure
- are in lively and interesting surroundings that reflect their learning
- can connect a new experience to what has gone before
- have clear purposes and real reasons for learning
- know what is expected of them
- have time to think and talk about their experiences
- have access to a range of suitable resources and can use them independently
- know that they are making progress
- are able to work together as well as on their own
- are given tasks that are well-matched to their needs and interests
- make decisions about what they have to do
- have appropriate adult supervision and instruction
- are encouraged to ask questions of each other and the teacher
- know what they have to do to improve
Each term, teachers prepare an overview of the learning in the form of a topic web. These are sent home with the children as well as being uploaded onto the school website. We encourage parents to look at these to enable them to take an interest in their child’s learning.