What’s it all about?
Using the internet and your mobile to chat to people or share ideas is great fun! But it can also be tricky; as you are not face to face, you can never be sure who you are talking to or who can see your pictures or videos.
There are a few simple rules that can help you to have fun, stay safe and keep out of trouble.
- Never publish private information about yourself or people you know. This includes names, school, where you are, birthday or even your passwords!
- Be careful with your pictures and videos. What does your picture give away about you? Remember, you can’t get it back once you post it.
- Never arrange to meet alone with someone that you don’t know in person. If you really want to meet up then take a responsible adult.
- Never open an attached file sent with an e-mail. Ask your parents or
guardian first, as it may contain a virus.
- Tell your parent or guardian right away if you come across any information that makes you feel uncomfortable.
- Do not enter contests without asking your parents first.
- Do not give out your Internet passwords to anyone (even best friends), other than your parents.
- Always treat others on the Internet the way you want to be treated.
- Do not go to any chatrooms or websites not approved of by your parents/guardians.
- Never download anything from the Net without your parents/guardians permission. It may contain a virus.
- Make your passwords really hard to guess!
… remember, if you can lie about your age to get onto a site, so can anyone else!
Follow these rules and stay safe!